Vacuum Assisted Birth: Risks and Benefits
Created by Mansi Dubey Updated on Jul 22, 2021
Vacuum assisted birth or Ventouse, is a method to assist the delivery of a baby using a vacuum device. Vacuum assisted birth is generally chosen as an option in the second stage of labor, if it has not progressed adequately. In any pregnancy where bearing down or pushing efforts would be risky, maternal exhaustion takes place or heart rate of the foetus changes, then a vacuum assisted delivery is advised. Most of the time vacuum assisted birth is an alternative to C-section and forceps delivery.
Birth through Vacuum device is generally safe for you and your baby but sometimes even it can cause a negative effect on either the baby or the mother.
Risks Of Vacuum Assisted Birth
- The baby will be left with temporary lump on its head
- There is a higher risk of failure to deliver the baby than forceps
- There’s a possibility of bleeding in the potential space between skull and the scalp
- It may lead to intracranial haemorrhage, or bleeding inside the skull, which is very rare yet serious risk of vacuum assisted delivery. The suction applied to baby head can damage the veins, causing the bleeding in the skull
- Bleeding in the back of the eyes, which is relatively common in a new born baby
- Skull fracture
- It can cause newborn jaundice (yellowing of eyes and skin)
- Women who undergo vacuum birth might experience pain and soreness if they have had an episiotomy or a tear
- Risk of an infection to the mother
- Damage to the vagina and cervix, if the cup is not attached to the baby correctly
Benefits Of Vacuum Assisted Birth
- The force applied to the baby can be less than that of a forceps delivery, and leave no mark on the face of the baby
- Women are less likely to go through maternal trauma compare to forceps and C-section
- The mother still takes an active role in the birth of her baby
- An episiotomy (enlarge the opening for the baby to pass) may not be required
- Requires less anaesthesia and pain relieving medications
- Less risk of maternal death
A vacuum device can rotate the baby if it’s in an abnormal position, and can help rotate the baby’s head into a correct position
You should not be afraid of the vacuum assisted birth or worry about its complications because even normal delivery can result in complications in both mother and the baby. Your doctor knows what is best for you and she would advise and take actions which will result in a healthy birth of your baby.
Did you like the blog? Did you find it useful? Do share your thoughts with us in the comments section below; we’d love to hear from you.
| Oct 19, 2018
That is the new procedure and trick of the doctors to getting the baby birth with the vacuum assisted machine that have no risk for the baby and mother. Benefits of the using vacuum on https://top5writingservicesreviews.com/superiorpapers-com-review/ website some doctors have described for the coming mothers on this stage.
| Nov 01, 2018
Health and fitness related discussion reading is very beneficial for us from readers can get lots of benefits in their plantings. This is a very helpful post https://australianreviewer.com/my-assignment-help-review/ for parents that guide them for healthy baby birth with proper way.
| Aug 28, 2019
I will only advice every other woman TRYING TO GET PREGNANT or having Fallopian tube issues, pcos and other infertility problem to do their research and don’t base your option only on anyone’s advise or medical report, I did and it resulted in waste of money and time. contact Priest Babaka via Email: babaka. wolf@gmail. com Or Facebook at priest. babaka he will help you because he has help me with his fertility/pregnancy spell prayers.. am so happy today to have my own child. He can also fix relationship/marriage issue, in case of getting your Lover/Ex back
| Aug 02, 2021
DO YOU NEED A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN? CONTACT US TODAY VIA WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail. com HELLO Loan Offer Alert For Everyone! Are you financially down and you need an urgent credit/financial assistance? Or are you in need of a loan to start-up/increase your business or buy your dream house. GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. WhatsApp:+19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail. com