5 Must Know Things About Nursery School Admission
Created by Nitin Updated on Dec 26, 2018
What if your child was born in December, and is now turning 3 years, would you continue with preschool for your child or would you need to evaluate schools already? With school admission getting tougher and tougher, and the nursery admission rules getting more stringent, there are a few things that you must know. [Must Read: Tips to Prepare Child for Nursery Admission Interaction]
This blog explains if you are looking find answers to questions given below...
- What if your child was born in December, and is now turning 3.
- Would you continue with preschool or would you need to evaluate schools already?
- What would be the right time for you to start looking for school admission?
- What is the age criteria for nursery school admission?
- Is there an upper age limit for admission to various grades at schools as well?
Must Know About Nursery School Admission
Information given here gives you a lowdown on the entry age limit and the upper age limit for school admissions. [Explore Answers of FAQs on Nursery Admissions 2019 By Expert]
The Statutory Norms
Earlier, as per the 1973 Act, the minimum age for preschool, pre-primary and school, i.e. grade 1 had been set as 3 years, 4 years and 5 years respectively. Now, as per the latest ruling, the upper age limit has also been set for these grades. Read on these 5 key pointers carefully to understand the appropriate grade as per your child's age by the beginning of the academic session.
Check this: Nursery Admission Form-filling Guidelines
The Child Age Norms
Check these 5 key facts that will put this norm in perspective for you & your child.
- The minimum age for admission to preschool is three years and the maximum age is 4 years from the 2015-2016 academic year
- The minimum age is four years for pre-primary and maximum age limit is 5 years
- The minimum age is five years for Class I and maximum is 6 years by 2018-2019 as per RTE
- As per the law, no school can screen a child or a parent for admission
- Has the Board fixed any age criteria to appear in class X examination? The answer is “NO”, the Board has not fixed any age criteria to appear in class X examination however, at the time of admission the student should satisfy the requirements of age limits (minimum and maximum) as determined by the State/Union Territory Government, as applicable to the place where the School is located.
With clarity on this, you can now comfortably plan your child’s schooling years. Do share your thoughts or doubts on this.
| Dec 29, 2015
Hi Anusha! I understand your worry emanating from the fact that different parts of our country have different names for preschool . for e. g. preschool has PG/Pre NU, NU, LKG, UKG in some parts of the country. , whereas schools mostly have either KG or LKG and UKG. The latest direction from DOE says, all school admissions in grade 1 could be minimum of 5 years and maximum of 6 years. One needs to work back the preceeding grades accordingly. So for e. g. for a school with LKG and UKG, a child of 4 years could go to LKG and next year could go to UKG, and then to grade 1 when the child is 6 years, but for a school with KG only, the child could be either 4 or 5 years in KG and would go to grade 1 next year.
| Dec 30, 2015
Hi Nitin , My son is 5 years on 31 December 2015 and will be 5 Years and 6 months when the academic year starts in 2016 . He is denied application form by an ICSE school in Hyd stating he should be 6 years in June 2016. I spoke to them and even discussed them about 1. There is no Age limit for class X 2. Schools should be compliant with local state board ( Telangana) . Please let me know what can I do .Regards Moin
| Dec 30, 2015
Hi Rinsy! Please find the following from these schools which are not admitting your child in LKG this year. "Will your child be fine for the admission in LKG next year when your child is 4 year 8 months? In such a case your child shall be more than 6 year in grade 1. " On the contrary, your child should be allowed in LKG this year. Which school did you get this information in Bangalore and was this before Dec 21st or after?
| Dec 30, 2015
Hi Moin! Was this after the latest direction, post 18th December? If so, are you looking at an admission in state board or a CBSE school? In case you are looking at government aided/private CBSE schools, they would not deny the admission for your child in grade 1 if he's 5 year 6 months. In case it's state board unaided school, there norms will be as per the Telangana state board, and in such a case you'll have to wait till next year for grade 1.
| Jan 03, 2016
I live in north Bangalore, . i'm looking for admission for my child who will turn 4yrs in march. i have decided to put him in Anthony Claret School as it is the closest to our place. if anyone knows or have heard about that school ,plz give me some information, i know nothing about that school. '
| Mar 17, 2017
my son is 4 years old now. I am trying for pp2 admission in schools. the school that I liked a lot says my son should be 4. 5 by June. Where in he will be 4 yrs 3 months and 23 days. they are not ready to accept him for pp2. how do I proceed. please suggest
Top Education and Learning Blogs
Top Education and Learning Talks
Top Education and Learning question